Sundays at this farmish place are reserved for Scribbles - short, random musings that collect while my mind has time to wander on this day of (supposed) rest. Enjoy, and feel free to add your own in the comments.
1. My head rooster, Chowder, has laryngitis. What is a rooster without his cock-a-doodle-doo? I'd like to say the farm is quiet, except that we've got all these teenaged roos running around, crowing and cock-a-doodling to make up for Chowder's silence. I don't think those teenagers have figured out yet that the more often they crow, the faster their butcher date will arrive.
2. Mornings are getting colder here. I could see my breath when I went out this morning to open the barn. I could also see the steam rising off the horses' poo pile. Ah, farm life. Our points of reference are just a lil' different than the rest of the world.
3. Did you know that when you open your canner and your jars are floating, it means they have no bottom on them? Which means the jars broke in the canner? Which means you have a super awesome mess in your canner that you've got to clean up? Not to mention, a lot of wasted pickles? Um...nope. I didn't know that either.
4. And did you know that when your pickle jars don't break in the canner, the pickles still have the ability to look great and "taste" great...but have the unfortunate texture of mushier than mush? Oh, of course you didn't know that. Just kidding. My bad.
5. Oh yes! And I crawled out from underneath the rock I apparently live under and discovered the world of Pinterest. Oh. My. Goodness. It's like cocaine for bakers and crafters. My family will now have to suffer through being the taste testers for the I-don't-know-how-many-recipes I've pinned this weekend. Want to join the madness? You can find me here. But if you gain 10 or maybe even 100 pounds from the yummy looking eye candy you find, don't blame me. Blame Pinterest.